Easy Queso Dip
Guys, football starts this weekend! It’s almost officially the best time of the year! Football, fall, and Halloween! You know I’m way too excited about this as every year, I think I say the exact same thing.
Game day snacks are a must this time of year and I’m starting the season off with the easiest and creamiest queso dip. Queso dip is the perfect vehicle for chips and veggies, but it’s also great to drizzle on top of slow cooker tacos, pulled chicken sandwiches, or even a warm bowl of chili!
Now I’ve tried making queso a few times before this recipe and have always been unhappy with the results. It’s always been too grainy. I’ve learned that the key is to use white American cheese, half and half, and a bit of cornstarch. I know the thought of American cheese is not typically impressive, but trust me when I say it really makes a difference for queso. I recommend going to the deli counter to buy it and just ask them to leave it in a small block so you can grate it yourself. I have to admit this batch I made was a little too thick, so I’ve cut down the cornstarch in this recipe. Finally, I highly recommend having a dip warmer for serving your queso so it stays warm and melty for your guests!
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 pounds white american cheese, grated
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- Appoximately 4 oz. diced green chiles (drained)
- Add 1 cup of the half and half to a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Measure out another 1/2 cup of half and half, stir in the corn starch until dissolved and add into the pan. Heat the mixture until it just starts to thicken and bubble.
- Stir in handfuls of the cheese, only adding a small handful at a time and whisking until melted before adding the next handful. Repeat until all the cheese is melted. Stir in the chiles. If needed, add more half and half to thin. Serve in a dip warmer with chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 587mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g