Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
Now that we moved to a new house, I was hoping we would be able to finally find some new takeout places to order Chinese from. Unfortunately though, it’s looking like we are in the same situation as before where we barely have any options here either! We are actually having issues with a lot of places delivering to us as our house is new so it doesn’t exist on anybody’s map yet! I had a craving some good honey chicken last week and decided to just make it at home.
I actually first made Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken years ago and then kind of forgot about it for a while and am so glad I remembered it because it’s so simple and tasty! You have to love any recipe you can just throw into your slow cooker and walk away.
And let’s be honest, takeout isn’t typically very healthy. This honey sesame chicken isn’t fried and doesn’t have too much sweetness so I feel much better about eating this!
I made regular fried rice for my husband, but I made fried cauliflower rice for me and it was perfect! I also threw in some peas, but you can certainly kick up the veggies to serve with it. Either way, this chicken is a homerun and is the perfect recipe for when you want takeout, but without all the salt and calories!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup honey (1/2 cup for sweeter sauce)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in water
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, oils, ketchup, garlic, and the red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook the chicken on high for approximately 1 1/2 hours on high or on low for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Pour the cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water into the sauce. Stir, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Cut or shred the chicken into bite size pieces. Place the chicken back into the slow cooker and stir into the sauce to coat. Add additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve over rice, noodles, and/or steamed veggies. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Serving Size:about 2/3 cup chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 487mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Protein: 27g