It’s May and that means it’s officially Burger Month! It should be no surprise that I’ve created a southwestern/Mexican-style burger since you guys know I love these flavors! A queso burger just sounded like pure perfection.
I opted for a burger mixed with taco seasoning and then topped it with a big dreamy dollop of homemade queso! I adapted the queso for these burgers from my easy queso dip. Normally when you eat queso as a dip, it can be quite liquidy. While I love queso dip, I knew the queso for these burgers needed to be a bit thicker to avoid a big sloppy mess. The consistency for this queso is thin enough to get that melty goodness, but thick enough so it isn’t running off the burger. You can experiment a bit as you mix this up by adding more half and half to thin or more cornstarch to thicken as needed. Also keep in mind that the queso will thicken as it cools.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning (or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 to 1/2 cups half and half
- 3/4 pound white american cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Appoximately 4 oz. diced green chiles (drained)
- sliced avocado or guacamole
1. In a bowl, add the ground beef and taco seasoning. Use clean hands to combine. Form the meat into 4 equally-sized patties. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook for about 3 minutes per side.
2. While the burgers cook, prepare the queso. Add 1 cup of the half and half to a non-stick saucepan over medim heat. Stir in the corn starch. Heat the mixture until it just starts to thicken and bubble. Stir in handfuls of the cheese, only adding a small handful at a time and whisking until melted before adding the next handful. Repeat until all the cheese is melted. Stir in the garlic powder, cumin, and the chiles. If needed, add more half and half to thin or more corn starch to thicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Note that the queso will thicken as it cools.
3. Remove the burgers from the heat and add to buns. Spoon desired amount of queso on top of each burger. Top with sliced avocado (or guacamole) and any other desired toppings. Serve.
I am teaming up with 100 other bloggers across the country to bring you some seriously mouth-watering burgers for Burger Month. We also want to give major props to the American Lamb Board, Anolon, Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner, Char-Broil, Curly’s BBQ, Cuttingboard.com, Melissa’s Produce, Primal Stone, Spiceologist, Thermoworks, & Veal Made Easy for providing some serious goodies for the epic giveaway!
Click the photo below to enter!
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. I was not compensated for this post, but am participating in a fun month-long event celebrating our love of burgers. The participating brands are only providing prizes for the reader giveaways.