Pumpkin Banana Muffins
I know. Some of you guys are probably thinking it’s way too soon for pumpkin recipes. But, it’s September and us bloggers are always trying to work ahead of schedule so that when your pumpkin cravings finally hit, you’ll have this recipe ready to go!
And well, you know that I basically spend the entire year counting down to fall so I’m all in! I based these Pumpkin Banana Muffins off my easy pumpkin muffins which is a pretty popular recipe on this blog. I made just a few small changes to that recipe and added mashed ripe banana and the result was just heavenly!
These muffins just filled my house with the most amazing scent of pumpkin, banana, and warm spices. We could barely wait for these guys to come of out the oven before digging right in! I know a lot of people hate this word, but I’m not sure how else to describe these other than to say they are unbelievably moist! They also freeze really well so you can make a double batch to pull out muffins as needed over the season. I left these plain since I planned to give them to my toddler, but you could add in nuts or even chocolate chips if desired! And best of all, one muffin will only cost you 223 calories!
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Suggested additions: chopped walnuts or pecans, sliced almonds, chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, vegetable oil, mashed banana, vanilla, and the egg. Stir in the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and the salt. Fold in the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until just combined. Divide the batter evenly amongst each cavity. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 167mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Protein: 3g