Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
I have to say that the slow cooker is truly one of my most favorite kitchen appliances. Maybe even more so than my stand mixer (*GASP*! I KNOW), but I mostly say that because I don’t consider myself to be a big baker. ANYWAY, the slow cooker is your best friend forever. It’s always there to save you from having to do a lot of prep work or the dreaded debate of figuring out what to make for dinner at 5pm because BAM! It’s already cooking dinner for you! And even better, most slow cooker recipes just require a few ingredients!
This BBQ Chicken is no exception. All you need is well…chicken, BBQ sauce, and a couple of spices and that’s it! Gotta love it! I’m not normally a fan of BBQ sauce, to be honest, but for some reason, I can totally get down with shredded BBQ chicken. I think BBQ chicken is a good dish for summer parties and such. A lot of people tend to pull out the slow cooker in the colder months, but it’s so great for summer dishes too! First, it’s easy to make a huge batch. Second, You can serve this chicken on buns or just as is with some classic macaroni salad or potato salad. See? It makes total sense, right?!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 1 (about 18-ounces) bottle of BBQ Sauce (your choice)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Buns if serving on sandwiches
- Pour the BBQ sauce and vinegar into the slow cooker. Add in the pepper flakes and onion powder and stir to combine. Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with a fork. Place back into the slow cooker for about 10-20 minutes. Serve as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 278mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 37g