Slow Cooker Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken
I’ve been doing a lot of meal prepping over the past month. Mostly just for lunches for me to bring to work, but also for nights when Maddie has ballet and we get home later in the evening. I’ve also been pulling out my slow cooker a lot more often. I kind of gave it a break for quite some time once I got my Instant Pot, but sometimes it’s nice to go back to it! I’m not a fan of the slow cook function on the IP so I’m glad I held onto my slow cooker.
I love to prep some sort of shredded chicken for lunches. And Mexican-style chicken is usually on my list. I made this embarrassingly easy Salsa Verde Chicken a couple of weeks ago and it only requires three ingredients to make it!
All you need to make this chicken is well…chicken breasts, a bottle of your favorite salsa verde, and cream cheese! That’s all that is required, but you can also add additional seasonings, some beer, sour cream, etc. This is just a good base recipe. One tip I will give you is to make sure you are using a salsa verde that you really like. Definitely taste it before you use it.
This chicken can be served in a variety of ways including tacos, burritos, rice bowls, quesadillas, enchiladas, over grilled veggies, salads, etc. Lots of possibilities and it couldn’t be easier to make!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 4 ounces plain cream cheese
- salt to taste
- optional seasonings to add before cooking - ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, etc.
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Pour the salsa verde over the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or 2 hours on high.
- Remove chicken and shred with a fork and place back into the slow cooker. Stir in the cream cheese. Add salt or additional seasonings if desired. Serve with tacos, enchiladas, bowls, quesadillas, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 99mg Sodium: 863mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3.7g Protein: 30g