French Onion Burgers
Ever since I made my French Onion Chicken Skillet, I’ve been wanting to find more ways to transform one of my most favorite soups ever into other dishes. Caramelized onions and cheese are just so heavenly together.
A French Onion Burger is the perfect way to enjoy these flavors! A juicy and flavorful burger topped with gooey provolone cheese and a pile of caramelized onions..does it get any better?
I seasoned these with a good amount of onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. If you are worried about these having too much onion flavor, you can always cut back on the onion powder!
I prefer to cook these burgers indoors on a grill pan on the stove. It’s easier to keep an eye on the onions this way. However, if you would rather cook them on the grill, I’d recommend making the onions first so you don’t have to worry about running back and forth to stir the onions or having them burn.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons beef broth (or red wine)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef, seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce. Use your hands to bring the mixture together until well-combined. Form into 4 hamburger patties and set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onion to the pan along with 2 tablespoons of the broth. Saute the onions for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes to avoid burning, until the onions are soft and caramelized. Remove from the heat when done.
- Once the onions are almost ready, heat grill pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add the hamburger patties. Grill on one side for 3-4 minutes. Flip and grill on other side for an additional 3 minutes. Add the cheese slices and turn off the heat. Let the burgers sit on the grill pan for additional minute or two if you prefer your burgers more well-done or remove from the heat and cover to allow cheese to melt.
- Transfer the burgers to the buns and spoon desired amount of onions on top. Serve.
Serving Size:1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 1121mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g