Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyCrockPotSummer #CrockPotRecipes #CollectiveBias
I cannot believe August is already here! This summer just flew by and I’m already feeling excited that football season is just around the corner – my favorite time of year!
You guys know I love game day recipes so when my friends at Crock-Pot® brand asked me to create a tailgate recipe using their new Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker, I was totally down for the challenge! Given that it’s still summer, I wanted to create a late-summer game day recipe so I made this Jamaican-style pulled Jerk chicken that would be perfect on slider buns or even with tortillas!
The Crock-Pot® Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker is my new favorite cooking tool and is ideal for tailgate parties! Crock-Pot® brand has been the number one leader in one-pot cooking and has always been my favorite small appliance to reach for when wanting to make simple but flavorful meals for my family and friends. My favorite feature of the Crock-Pot® Cook & Carry Slow Cooker though is the locking lid which makes it so easy to cook at home and then carry to wherever you need to go next whether you are headed to a tailgate, holiday, or potluck party. The lid seals everything safely so you don’t have to worry about leaks or spills when transporting it. It can make enough food for 7 or more people and has a sleek control panel with preset cooking settings which makes it so simple to just set and go on with your day without having to spend too much time in the kitchen.
One of my favorite features of slow cooking is how it can really tenderize your meats. For chicken, I prefer to use the low setting to avoid the chicken getting too dry.
To make the chicken, you’ll start out by mixing up a jerk-style spice rub made with cinnamon and nutmeg. It may sound like a strange flavor combo, but trust me, it works! I do like to brown the chicken with the rub before cooking it as it helps the spices stick to the chicken while slow cooking which results in more flavor!
The marinade is made with fresh squeezed-orange juice and pineapple juices, some soy sauce, and a touch of vinegar and brown sugar to balance out the sauce. The chicken is so flavorful, but still nice and light due to the citrus juices.
I also mixed up some mango salsa which pairs perfectly with the flavors of the chicken. I served mine on Hawaiian rolls, but you can also serve it with tortillas if desired to make jerk chicken tacos!
For the Jerk Chicken:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
For the mango salsa:
- 4 cups diced mango
- 1/2 large red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Using your hands, sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken and rub in to coat as much of the chicken as possible. Wash hands.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over high heat with the vegetable oil. Once hot, place the chicken in the skillet. Let cook on each side until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place into the Crock-Pot® Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker.
- In another bowl, stir together the orange juice, pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and thyme. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover with the lid and lock. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until fork tender. Shred the chicken with a fork and stir back in with the juices and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Serve with slider buns like Hawaiian rolls or with tortillas. Top with the mango salsa.
- To make the salsa, add the diced mango, red onion, lime juice, and cilantro in a bowl. Stir together and season with salt to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Serving Size:approx. 2/3 cup chicken and 1/3 cup salsa
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 1044mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 44g
Doesn't include buns or taco shells as nutrition can greatly vary depending on what you are using.