Sweet Potato & Chicken Sausage Hash
So this weekend, I busted out some fall recipes and it was glorious. My kitchen smelled like apple and pumpkin heaven and I died of happiness. I’ll be sharing those recipes soon, but for now, I’ve got more sweet potatoes!
Sweet potatoes, apple chicken sausage, shaved brussels sprouts, OH, and a fried egg because everything is better with a fried egg on top and because I’m so 2013. I loooooved using apple chicken sausage with this dish. It complemented the sweet potatoes so perfectly. This is one of those recipes that could be could for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner!
I’m not usually a big fan of brussels sprouts, but I can dig them when in shaved form! I chose them because they just seem like a fall veggie to me, but if you’re not into them, you can also use spinach or kale. Whatever floats your veggie boat!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces sweet apple chicken sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup shaved brussels sprouts
- 4 fried eggs for topping
- In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes or translucent. Add the diced sweet potatoes, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour in about 1/4 cup water, cover, and let the potatoes cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a dish and put the pan back on the heat. Add the sliced pre-cooked sausage and saute until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes back into the pan and stir in the brussels sprouts. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with a fried egg if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 263mgSodium: 774mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 30g