Easy Chocolate Mousse
It’s almost Friday and the end of the week also calls for chocolate. Always and forever. Today I’ve got a supppppper simple chocolate mousse for you guys. No need to prepare a custard! And better yet, it’s made with a secret ingredient that actually makes this a much healthier dessert compared to regular chocolate mousse. This is not a new concept and some of you might already know it, but the secret is…avocado! Yes, delicious, buttery and smooth avocado. Packed with healthy fats too!
At first thought, I really wasn’t sure about this idea. And actually, the very first time I made this, it was not good. I have found that the key to making this mousse work is to use ripe (and not bruised) avocados. I think my issue the first time was that the avocados were not ripe enough and you could taste the avocado in the final product, so make sure your avocados are nice and ripe! I also have found this recipe works better when you use a combination of good-quality melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
This chocolate mousse really couldn’t be easier to make. You literally just throw everything in a blender, transfer to bowls, chill, and eat!
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 very ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2/3 cup agave (can also use stevia, granulated sugar, or powdered sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk (any will do)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh raspberries or strawberries (for garnish)
- Prepare a double boiler by placing a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan filled halfway with water. Bring the water to a light boil. Pour in the chocolate chips and continue stirring until completely melted. Remove the bowl from the pan and let the chocolate cool for a minute.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor. Pour in the melted chocolate. Cover and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Spoon the mousse into serving bowls. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with berries if desired. The mousse is best eaten within 48 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 12gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g