Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Casserole
What do you guys eat for breakfast on Christmas morning? Is it a big deal in your house? I love making a special breakfast for Christmas morning. It’s the perfect way to top off an early morning of opening presents with a huge mug of coffee or hot cocoa. Even better though? Not having to do any work in the morning and being able to enjoy time with family while breakfast is baking away!
Enter the breakfast casserole! You can prep it all the night before, stick it in the fridge overnight, and then transfer it directly to the oven in the morning to bake!
This breakfast casserole starts with cooking crumbled breakfast sausage along with some bell peppers and onions. Then, you just have to add the frozen potatoes and egg mixture! It couldn’t be easier to prep! I think I prefer savory breakfasts more often than something super sweet so this casserole is perfect if you want to go the savory route!
This casserole is nice and hearty and how perfect are the little red and green specks of bell pepper for Christmas?! You can also add some crumbled feta on top if you also want to work in some white!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Approx. 9.6 ounces crumbled breakfast sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely diced
- Approx. 15 ounces shredded potatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the olive oil to a medium skillet over medium high heat, add the crumbled sausage, peppers, and onion. Saute until the sausage is browned and the veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the sausage mixture to the baking dish along with the shredded potatoes. Break the shredded potatoes up and mix with the sausage mixture in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and salt and whisk until well-combined. Pour evenly over the potatoes and sausage. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the casserole is lightly golden. Cut into slices and serve.
Serving Size:1/8th casserole
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 299mgSodium: 1053mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g