Honey Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Happy New Year, my friends! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with your loved ones. We went to Florida this year and while we had a great time, we all came back sick for the second time since Thanksgiving!
If you’re anything like me, once January begins every year, I am always thinking about how I need to detox for a few weeks from all the heavy and sugary treats I enjoyed over the holidays. For me, this includes lots of protein and veggies and less carbs. Lettuce Wraps always fit this bill!
If you’ve been reading my blog, you know I am madly in love with lettuce wraps. I’ve made Southwestern Chicken, Thai Peanut, Copycat P.F. Chang’s, and Chicken Salad versions and am always thinking of new recipes. They make a great dinner, but are also perfect to make ahead for lunches during the week!
Today, I’ve made Honey Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps and I’m in love! The filling includes lean ground chicken, red bell pepper, and black beans. The sauce is also nice and light. The balance of the heat from the chipotle pepper and the sweetness from the honey is just perfection. These lettuce wraps are the best way to kick off the new year!
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (or two smaller peppers)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (15-ounces) unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter or iceberg lettuce, rinsed
- To make the sauce, combine the chipotle pepper, water, honey, and lime juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. As the chicken cooks, break up with a spatula into smaller pieces.
- Once the chicken starts to brown, add the red pepper and the black beans. Cook for another 4 minutes then pour in the honey chiptole sauce and stir well to coat the chicken mixture. Continue cooking until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 2-3 more minutes. Season with additional salt if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and serve on top of lettuce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 319mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 25g