Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Happy New Year! I hope you all had an amazing holiday. We had a nice, but busy break. Although I really missed seeing my family, I have to say that it was really great to not have to travel this year and lug a bunch of presents back and forth. I loved that the girls got to wake up in their own house for Christmas morning!
It’s January and I can’t believe the holidays are over! It’s now that time of year where we all want/NEED a little detox after the holidays. You can bet I am all about salads, green smoothies, and low-carb everything right now!
I love a good chicken lettuce wrap. I mean, just see here!
What’s not to love about them? A flavorful filling served in some fresh green lettuce? So delicious and best of all, nutritious!
This teriyaki version is no exception. The mixture includes ground chicken (you can also use ground turkey if preferred), green onion, red bell pepper, and grated carrots. I also toss in some water chestnuts towards the end and I like the added crunch they add to the wraps.
The sauce is also pretty basic, just need some soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, sesame oil, and a touch of honey or brown sugar for sweetness. I know most teriyaki sauce recipes tend to be sweeter, but I wanted something lighter. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, you can always add more honey or brown sugar to your sauce!
The lettuce wraps come together in just under 30 minutes which makes these the perfect weeknight dinner! I also love to take these to work for lunch. I will prep them by portioning out a few servings into different containers and then pack a stack of lettuce leaves wrapped in a damp paper towel in a baggie.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- salt to taste
- 2/3 cup sliced green onions (plus more for garnish)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sriracha (can adjust if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 tablespoon honey OR light brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained, finely chopped
- Iceberg, Bibb or butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and drained
- cilantro, green onions, sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground chicken and break up with a spatula as it cooks. Sprinkle with some salt. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green onion, red bell pepper, and carrots. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the pepper is tender, another 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Lower heat to low.
- In a small bowl (I mix the sauce up while the chicken is cooking), whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, sriracha, ginger, and the honey.
- Add the water chestnuts to the chicken mixture. Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and stir until combined. Season with more salt if desired.
- Serve with lettuce leaves. Garnish with chopped cilantro, additional onion, and/or sesame seeds.
Serving Size:approx. 1 cup filling
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360 Total Fat: 11.7g Saturated Fat: 1.5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 71mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 1.4g Sugar: 9.2g Protein: 32.5g