Southwestern Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Have you ever gotten an idea to make a recipe that seems like it would be so good, so you go for it and make it up. You don’t really know what you are doing, but you just throw things together and it all makes so much sense. And then after you taste it, you’re all, “Errmahgerddddddd, I’m so good at this!”?
That’s me with these southwestern chicken lettuce wraps. They are so crazy simple, but really light and flavorful. They are so good, I seriously rushed through taking the pictures because I just wanted to get to the part where I got to eat them!
If you’re looking for a low-carb and clean meal, this is it right here. I’ve kind of set an unofficial goal for myself to eat as clean as possible, at least for a few months and meals like this are going to get me through it! I made a full recipe just for myself and packaged it in portions for lunch and it reheats really well. You can add whatever typical Mexican topping you want such as cheese, sour cream, or avocado, but I didn’t add anything extra except from fresh cilantro. No toppings are necessary!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (15-ounces) unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- butter or iceberg lettuce, rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic and the chicken. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken. As the chicken cooks, break up with a spatula into smaller pieces.
- Once the chicken starts to brown, add the red pepper and the black beans. Mix in with the chicken and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Season with additional salt if necessary (and you can also add additional taco seasoning if desired). Transfer to a bowl and serve on top of lettuce and additional desired toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 1251mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g