White Chicken Chili
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend! We spent the weekend with my husband’s family as they all came to town to catch some spring training games. We ate way too much too. Delicious food, of course, but now I’m not sure I can eat any more food this week.
Ok, that’s a lie. Just looking at the pictures of this White Chicken Chili has me wishing for another bowl! I made this chili a few weeks ago on a whim and was really happy with the way it came out.
It’s pretty simple to make and is hearty and comforting. My toddler also really liked this chili and she’s incredibly picky! She didn’t mind the green chiles either, but I only added one can just in case.
This chicken chili uses diced up chicken breast in place of ground meat. It gets nice and tender as it simmers in the chili! This chili also has a bit of a creamy texture thanks to the addition of sour cream and half and half, but it’s not super heavy. I love the tangy flavor that the sour cream adds too! This recipe is the perfect way to change up your chili game!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup light sour cream
- diced avocado, chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the diced chicken to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beans with the chicken. Then stir in the cumin and green chilies. Pour in the broth and season with more salt to taste. Lower the heat to low. Let the chili simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and the sour cream until combined. Cook the chili for another 10-20 minutes. Season with more salt or pepper if necessary. Garnish with avocado and cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 109mg Sodium: 636mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Protein: 42g