Chili Lime Chicken Kebabs
I have been seriously craving tons of veggies lately. I think it’s because I feel like I have generally been eating like crap. We are so tired from adjusting to being a family of four and work, there’s been too many nights of picking up or ordering out dinner. So now, give me all the grilled foods and veggies. I love kebabs because they are pretty simple to prep in advance and are healthy. These kebabs are marinated in light and tasty chili lime.
First, how pretty are these little kebabs?!
The marinade for these guys is nice and light, but flavorful. You can experiment with the veggies too if you want to add more or different ones. Just be sure to keep things cut to about 1-inch pieces, otherwise, it’s difficult for everything to cook evenly. If you would prefer, you can also just do some kebabs with just the chicken and some with just veggies. I don’t think the chili powder is too strong in this recipe, but you can always adjust the amount if needed. Oh, and be sure to plan ahead as you will want to let the chicken marinate at least 4 hours.
I like to eat these with a side of cilantro lime rice, but you could also serve them with a big green salad if you are keeping things low-carb!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into-inch squares
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- metal skewers or wooden skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak the wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes (to prevent from burning). Thread the cubed chicken and veggies onto 4 woooden skewers in desired order. Place the skewers into a baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the kebabs. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, if not overnight.
- Grill the kebabs over medium heat for approximately 5-6 minutes per side, turning as needed to ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove from the heat and let stand 1 minutes before serving. Serve over rice, quinoa, or greens.
Serving Size:1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 371mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 26g