I love salad. I could eat it every day. I call this my “Everything But the Kitchen Sink Salad” because I throw so many different ingredients into it depending on what I have in the fridge and pantry. I’m going to give you a pretty standard ingredient list that I use for this salad, but there are so many other ingredients you could add to it, hence the name “Everything But the Kitchen Sink Salad”! I love salads loaded with all kinds of goodness whether it’s other veggies, beans, avocado, cheese, corn, and nuts. The more the merrier, I say!
I make this salad quite frequently for lunches and dinners. For the chicken, I use whatever I have on hand: grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken, or deli sliced chicken breast. You could also use turkey or whatever other deli meats you have on hand.When it comes to salad dressings, I prefer to make my own. Most bottled salad dressings just don’t do it for me so I often just make my own vinaigrettes fresh and in small amounts. I keep my pantry well-stocked with a variety of different types of olive oils and vinegars so I can always change things up when I want to do so!
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Salad
For the salad:
- 2 1/2 c. rinsed and chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 tbs. diced red onion
- 1 tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c. canned and drained sweet corn
- 1/4 c. diced or shredded monterey jack cheese (mozzarella would also work!)
- 1/4 c. raw almonds (whole or sliced)
- 1 c. cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes
- Other ingredients you can add: chick peas, hard-boiled egg, olives, etc.!
For the dressing:
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar (I like to change it up!)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Rinse and chop lettuce and put in a medium-sized bowl.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and toss into bowl.
- Add cheese, almonds, and corn.
- In a separate small bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk together until well-blended.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, toss, and enjoy!