Mexican Chicken Bake
I call this dish Mexican Chicken Bake, but I also like to call it “Single Lady Dinner” because that’s what I used to call it. Back in the day before my now-husband and I moved in together, I made this at least once a week. First, the ingredients are not very expensive.
And second, it gave me a hearty and healthy meal with lots of leftovers so I didn’t have to cook every night! And then I completely forgot it even existed until I was flipping through some old posts and was all like, “Ohhhhh mannnn, I gotta make that one again!”.
This is another one of those recipes that I can make on a Sunday and then pack into individual containers for work lunches during the week.
Believe me when I say though, this is just not single lady food. Whether you are just cooking for yourself or for a family, this recipe is a winner, especially this time of year as it starts to cool off outside.
It’s nice and filling, but without really weighing you down and best of all, it’s packed with protein from the quinoa, chicken, and black beans! If you or the fam aren’t into quinoa, you can also use rice.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken breast (or turkey)
- 2 cans (14-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes, reserve about half the liquid
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional Toppings: sour cream, olives, green onion, and cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, cook quinoa or rice in 2 cups of water until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil and add onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and cook for 8 minutes or until lightly browned, breaking it up with a spatula while cooking.
- Add diced tomatoes (along with the reserved liquid) and black beans to the chicken. In a small bowl, whisk together the taco seasoning and one tablespoon of water. Pour over the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Add mixture to a 8 x 8 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and scoop into bowls. Top with toppings of your choice and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 333mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 32g