Mexican Stuffed Peppers
So I’ve been all about lunch prep on the weekends lately. Mornings are always so rough for me with trying to squeeze in time with my girl to feed her breakfast, play, and put her down for her morning nap. I’m always trying to rush out the door after putting her down so I don’t have time to mix up things to bring for lunch at work. I need something I can just grab from the fridge and head out the door!
These stuffed peppers have always been a favorite of mine. They are hearty, healthy, low-carb, and packed with protein thanks to lean ground chicken, quinoa, and black beans. These are great for meal prepping and keep me full until dinner no problem! Honestly, the filling is so tasty, I can just eat it on its own, but the tender baked bell pepper is the perfect edible bowl!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 4 bell peppers (red or green), tops removed and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Add the rinsed quinoa and water to a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer and cover. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground chicken. Break up the meat with a spatula. Add the chili powder and the cumin. Continue cooking the chicken until browned. Stir in the black beans and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for another 2 minutes. Mix in the cooked quinoa until combined. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon the mixture into each hollowed bell pepper. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle the cheese on top of each pepper. Place back into the oven uncovered and continue baking for about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and peppers are tender.
Serving Size:1 stuffed pepper
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 323mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g