Mexican Chicken Pizza
I used to make all kinds of pizzas years ago and for whatever reason, I just stopped and forgot all about them which is crazy because, um, hello, it’s pizza!
This Mexican Chicken Pizza has always been one of my favorites! Instead of tomato sauce, I use salsa. Once you have this simple base ready, you can really experiment with the toppings. I like to use pepper jack cheese for an added kick, but you can certainly use plain jack cheese, cheddar, or a Mexican blend if you prefer. Corn and black beans are also a must for me, but the great thing about a pizza like this is that you really can’t go wrong! You can also add diced tomatoes, beef instead of chicken, peppers, green chilies, etc.
Since the chicken is already cooked, I recommend pre-baking the dough before adding all of the toppings until it is just about done. This will help prevent the chicken from drying out, but will still allow for the cheese to melt and for the toppings to get nice and warm before the pizza comes out of the oven. I like topping mine with lots of fresh cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and of course, diced avocado!
- 1 pound pizza dough
- all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- up to 1 cup salsa (may need more if using chunkier salsa)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (canned or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (or plain jack cheese)
- optional toppings: cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lightly dust a clean counter with flour and turn out the pizza dough. Roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness and place onto the pan. Brush the dough with the olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Bake the dough for about 8-10 minutes or until it just turns lightly golden. Remove.
- While the dough is baking, add the chicken, beans, and corn to a non-stick skillet over mediium heat. Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, garlic and onion powder along with the water. Stir until the mixture is coated in the spices and heated through. Remove from the heat.
- Spread the salsa over the dough and sprinkle the cheese, followed by the chicken mixture. Place the pizza back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Garnish with chopped cilantro, diced avocado and sour cream for dipping if desired.
Serving Size:2 pieces (cut into 8)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g