Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
A couple of weekends ago, I woke up really wishing we had a big batch of cinnamon rolls for breakfast. But I didn’t feel like putting in all of the work to prepare them so instead I mixed up a batch of cinnamon roll oatmeal! Surprisingly enough, it totally satisfied my craving and it was like heaven in a bowl. I wasn’t sure how oatmeal could satisfy a craving for a cinnamon roll, but this definitely did the trick and best of all, I had it all done in about 15 minutes!
The cream cheese icing definitely takes this oatmeal over the top, but not so much that you have to feel guilty about eating a ton of sugar (or butter). I felt like I was indulging, but was also getting a good dose of fiber and whole grains! It’s also really easy to make as you just mix things up in a bowl and stick in the microwave and then just mix up the cream cheese topping! I actually recommend making extra of the cream cheese topping to store in the fridge (especially if you are making this for more than just one person) so you can just drizzle it on as needed!
For the oatmeal:
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk (I use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will do)
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
For the cream cheese topping:
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and the salt. Then stir in the milk, water, and vanilla extract until well-combined. Microwave for about 3-5 minutes or until the oats are cooked.
- While the oats are cooking, whisk together the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl. Add a little splash of milk and continue whisking until the icing reaches desired consistency. Add more powdered sugar if too watery and more milk if too thick. I drizzled a little less than a tablespoon of the icing on my oatmeal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 7g