Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
It’s still pretty warm here in Orange County. I mean, it’s still nothing compared to living in Phoenix, but I’m ready for more consistently cool days! I’ve been digging out my soup pots anyway though and whipped up this delicious lentil and sweet potato stew a couple of weeks ago and was so happy with how it turned out.
This stew is everything you would want from a stew. It’s hearty and comforting and it’s so healthy too! Oh, and did I mention it’s also vegan-friendly? I love the combination of the lentils with tender sweet potatoes and the diced tomatoes. It’s also really simple to make. You just saute onion and garlic and then throw everything into a pot to cook. I only added cumin and salt and pepper, but you could certainly add more spices and herbs such as chili powder or bay leaves if desired to kick the flavors up a bit more!
It also reheats really well. I made a big pot and stored portions in smaller containers in the fridge to take to work with me during the week. I garnished with fresh parsley and I also highly recommend sprinkling some fresh grated parmesan cheese on top!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yelllow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) mini diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, as garnish
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and the onion. Saute the onion for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the lentils, sweet potato, diced tomatoes (liquid included), the broth, and cumin and turn the heat up to high and bring everything to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook uncovered for about 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley (and grated Parmesan if desired). Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 762mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 5g Protein: 7g