Sweet Potato Pumpkin Chili
I cannot believe that October is almost here! It’s still quite warm here in the Southern California, but as per usual, I’m trying my hardest to ignore it and we are in full on cozy season inside the house. Our Halloween decor is up and I’ve got my candles going.
Chili is one of my favorite things to make this time of the year. It’s so simple, but so hearty and comforting. Two of my favorite chili recipes are my Pumpkin Chili and Sweet Potato Chili. I recently bought a really huge can of pumpkin puree and thought why not use it up and combine my two favorite chili recipes into one – Sweet Potato Pumpkin Chili!
This recipe is vegetarian and also vegan! The sweet potato replaces meat and I also used veggie broth instead of chicken broth. The beans and sweet potatoes make this soup so hearty and filling, you will never miss the meat!
I use about 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes for this recipe. You can use less if your potatoes seem larger. Since chili is usually thicker, I only use about 3-4 cups of broth, but I do recommend having a bit extra on hand if you like your chili to be a little less thick. The sweet potatoes will absorb some of that liquid as they cook.
I used a combo of black beans and pinto beans. If preferred, you can stick to just one type of bean or you could also swap for kidney beans, it really doesn’t matter as along as you have about two cans of beans.
This chili is obviously perfect for dinner, but I also love it for meal prepping and chili is one of those recipes that often tastes even better the next day. Especially with working from home these days, it’s an easy and filling lunch to heat up and will freeze nicely if desired.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch thick cubes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add the diced sweet potatoes, and onions. Season with some salt and saute for about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans and spices and the garlic until the beans and potatoes are well-coated in the spices.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes (including the liquid) and 3 cups of the broth. Lower heat to medium low and cover. Let the chili simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are just fork tender. If needed or if the chili is too thick, add the extra broth. Season with salt or additional spices to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1531mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g