Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
I always get so super pumped when mid-October hits because all of the Halloween movies start coming on! All I want to do is take a few weeks of vacation and hibernate at home on the couch in cozy pajamas eating lots of fall soups and binging on our favorite Halloween movies. Then I realize that I have an almost-two-year old and having Michael Myers on in the background is probably not the best parenting choice I could make. Oh well, we will just have to watch Hocus Pocus on repeat and that’s fine with me too!
We are so excited to take Madeline trick-or-treating this year for the first time. She is going as Minnie Mouse because she has been pretty obsessed lately. The only problem is she hates wearing things on her head so I just know she is going to rip the ears right now. So, really, she will probably just wear a pink polka dot dress. Oh well.
And now that Halloween is rapidly approaching, the parties are also starting and desserts are always a great dish to bring! These pumpkin cheesecake swirl brownies are perfect for Halloween and even into the holiday season. My number one rule for brownies is that they must be fudgy. I’m not a big fan of really cakey brownies and these are truly fudgy and the pumpkin cheesecake topping just pairs perfectly with the rich brownie.
For the brownie layer:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the cheesecake layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray and then place a layer of parchment paper leaving excess on the sides for easy lifting after baking. Set aside.
- Prepare a double boiler by filling a sauce pan about halfway with water. Place a heat-safe bowl on top and bring the water to a light boil. Add the butter and the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir together until smooth and melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, stir in the granulated and brown sugars followed by the eggs and vanilla extract. Stir together the salt and flour in a separate bowl and then mix in with the wet ingredients until well-combined. Set aside about 3/4 cup of the batter. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare the cheesecake layer. In a separate bowl, Add the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and the eggs. Beat together until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter and spread so that it is in an even layer. Then take the extra brownie batter and pour in sections over the cream cheese mixture. Use a butter knife to swirl the brownie batter in with the cream cheese mixture
- Pour the brownie layer into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the brownies cool completely before slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g