Flashback Friday: Dad’s Potato Salad
The 4th is coming up fast and I am still trying to figure out where the month of June has gone. We are finally back on the road this weekend to get back to Arizona. I hate leaving family, but it’s been a long month and we are definitely ready to get back to our routine.
Summer is the season of potato salad and this one is my favorite because it’s my dad’s recipe and he has been making it this way for years. It’s really actually a very simple recipe. I love this potato salad is because, first, it has big chunks of potato. I hate potato salads that have really little chunks of over-cooked potatoes. Not cool. Cooking the potatoes just right is really key to a good potato salad of any kind and I would be totally lying if I said that I never overcooked the potatoes anymore, it’s not easy, so keep a close eye while cooking your potatoes. The other thing I love about this potato salad is that it is not swimming in mayo or dressing. I also despise (yes, despise) over-dressed potato salads. This recipe uses mayo, but you could also swap it out for Greek yogurt or do a combo of the two!
- 3 1/2 lbs. peeled Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt (or a combo of the two)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dice peeled potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Put into large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 10 minutes* on medium heat. Drain cooked potatoes in a colander and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, celery, green pepper, salt and pepper, and mayonnaise. Mix together.
- Slice hard-boiled eggs and place over the top of salad. Sprinkle with paprika. (This is really for presentation-sake. You can mix the eggs and paprika in with the rest of the potato salad if you would rather! That is usually what happens once we all dig in anyway!).
- Refrigerate potato salad for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Original Post: Dad’s Potato Salad