The end of our Florida trip is near. We’re gearing up to head back for the long drive back to Arizona on Friday so this is a quick post so I can get back to family. Side dishes are always tough for me. I always do kale or broccoli, but really have been needing some better ideas. I spotted these toasty tomatoes in a recent issues of Cooking Light and decided that I needed to make them ASAP. I never think of tomatoes as a side dish. They usually just get thrown into a salad. I’m so boring.
First, they are insanely easy. Just mix up the crispy topping and spoon it on top of tomatoes and then broil until perfectly toasty. I always forget just how wonderful tomatoes are and then they become even more wonderful when you put them in the oven. The topping is obviously the best part. It’s crispy, cheesy, garlicky, and lemony. All good things. In about 15 minutes or less, you can have these yummy tomatoes on your table which for me, is the perfect side dish, especially during the week when I am frantically trying to get dinner on the table.
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the lemon rind, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Mix in the olive oil and the panko. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the tomato halves, cut sides up. Top each half with about 1 teaspoon of the panko mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan and salt evenly over tomatoes. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Serving Size:2 halves
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g