Creamy Gnocchi Soup
Although it’s still quite warm here in Florida, we have been having cool mornings and evenings which is all I can really hope for in terms of experiencing “fall” weather. Soup season is here and it’s time for cozy soups! I love gnocchi, but don’t use it/make it terribly often. It’s a great alternative to pasta or plain potatoes in a soup – filling and sort of has that dumpling-like texture.
I made this super easy soup with your basic soup veggies like onions, carrots, and celery. Just a bit of flour for thickening and half and half. It’s creamy and slightly thickened, but definitely not heavy like a lot of cream-based soups. I used a good amount of Italian seasoning in this recipe along with Parmesan cheese. I also like to add a splash of white wine which is totally optional, but adds additional flavor to the soup!
It’s a simple soup and great for weeknights when you are in a rush. You can add chicken to it to make it a meal on its own with some warm crusty bread.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- Feel free to add in rotisserie or diced/shredded chicken breast to this soup for added protein and heartiness!
- A fresh squeeze of lemon right before serving is also a nice pop of flavor!
- I like to use half and half in this recipe because it gives the soup that creamy flavor without being too heavy. You can, however, use heavy cream or even milk if you do not have half and half.
- You can use either vegetable broth/stock or chicken broth for this soup.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup diced baby carrots
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth/stock)
- 20 ounces potato gnocchi
- 1 cup half and half
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stock/soup pot, add the butter over medium heat until melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute in the melted butter for about 5 minutes. Add in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and flour. Stir to coat the veggies in the flour.
- Pour in the wine and broth. Stir and lower heat to medium low. Let the veggies simmer until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the gnocchi and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in the half and half. Season with additonal salt and pepper to taste and mix in the Parmesan cheese. Let the soup simmer on low heat for 5 more minutes. Serve.
Feel free to add rotisserie or cooked chicken to the soup for a heartier meal!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1192mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g