Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
You may have noticed that I haven’t been posting much since the new year. That is because my family and I have been battling what can only be described as the cold from hell for two weeks now. It’s been so awful and exhausting with all of us being sick, especially the baby, she’s up so much lately in the night and is so uncomfortable.
I honestly haven’t been doing much cooking, but I did manage to make this soup last weekend and I was pretty happy with how it turned out so I snapped a few photos so I could share it. This Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect for when you want a soup that’s a little more exciting than plain chicken noodle, but still has all of the comforts of the traditional version!
I used a lot of shortcuts for this recipe by using premade broth and rotisserie chicken. If you want something more homemade, feel free to use your own broth and your own roasted chicken. I call this soup creamy, but it is really not that thick at all. With us being sick, I didn’t want something too heavy and this soup is a great in-between soup I’d say. It has slightly more thickness than a regular broth-based soup and then I stirred in some fat free half and half at the end which gives it it’s creaminess. Again, you can be flexible here and use fat-free half and half, full fat half and half, heavy cream, or any kind of milk. Obviously, more fat will make the soup creamier so it’s up to you!
To finish it off, I squeezed some fresh lemon juice in my bowl which I highly recommend doing! It’s a nice twist and cuts some of the creaminess. And like the Italian girl I am, I always sprinkle some Parm on my chicken noodle soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2-4 tablespoons flour (use more if you want a thicker soup)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- approx. 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles
- 3/4 cup fat free half and half (can also use regular, heavy cream, or any milk)
- sliced lemons (optional) and grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and celery to the pot and saute for about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour with the veggies until they are well-coated with the flour. Pour in the chicken broth and stir in the bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and salt. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add the chicken and egg noodles (the egg noodles will cook in the broth). Let the soup simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are cooked. Discard the bay leaves. Add any additional seasonings if desired. Stir in the half and half. Serve with lemon slices and/or grated Parmesan.
Serving Size:approx. 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 707mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g