Pumpkin Rice Krispies Treats
I’m back and posting this recipe in the comfort of our new home! It’s been a stressful month trying to get a house in this crazy housing market in Florida, but we finally got a home and have been busy updating a number of things in the house, but we have most of the house set up and it feels good to be back in the kitchen making recipes, photographing, and writing posts!
October is my favorite month of the year and we are ready to enjoy the Halloween season! My girls love rice krispies treats so I thought I’d try making a pumpkin version! The pumpkin is subtle in these, but you definitely taste it along with pumpkin pie spices and spiced white chocolate drizzled on top! These are the perfect way to spice up your plain cereal treat!
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- The key to using pumpkin puree in these is to pat away as much of the moisture as you can before mixing it in with the marshmallows. I measure out a 1/3 cup and then place it on top of a paper towel. I then place another paper towel on top and kind of smush it down. I add a few more sheets of paper towels on either side, running my hand gently over the puree so that it soaks up the moisture into the paper towels.
- Orange food coloring is optional in this recipe, but I added a drop to brighten up the orange color.
- Feel free to add more pumpkin pie spice if desired. The pumpkin flavor is there, but it is mild so the spices really are what make these stand out from plain cereal treats.
For the treats:
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pie mix)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice cereal
For the spiced drizzle:
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Measure out 1/3 cup pumpkin puree. Layer two paper towels down on the counter. Place the puree down on top and then layer two more pieces of paper towels on top. Smash down lightly with your hand to remove moisture from the puree. Add 1-2 additional sheets of paper towels to remove more. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large non-stick pot, add the butter over medium high and melt. Stir in the marshmallows and stir until just melted. Stir in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined and smooth. Remove from the heat and let stand for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cereal and stir until it is coated in the melted marshmallows.
- Spray your hands with cooking spray. Spoon out the cereal from the pan and push down into an even layer. Set aside.
- Add the white chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments, stirring in between until melted. Mix in the pumpkin pie spice. Drizzle over the cereal treats. Let stand for 25 minutes. Slice into bars and serve. Store leftovers in airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g