Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

Fall= crock pot season. My crock pot has been living on my counter these last few weeks. I love how easy it makes my life! Throw a bunch of crap in the pot, turn it on, and come home to a delicious dinner. How awesome would it be if there were crock pots for other things in life? Like…cleaning your house, paying bills, jury duty, you know, pretty much one for everything you hate doing in this world.

Let’s talk tacos. Tacos are rad. I could eat tacos every day…maybe….

These crock pot ranch chicken tacos are pretty flippin’ awesome! The chicken is so flavorful, I could just eat it with a fork and totally skip the tortilla. Aside from tasting awesome, they are also low in fat! Choose your toppings wisely and you will have yourself a healthy and seriously tasty meal! We make this at least once a month in our house.

Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

The ranch flavor isn’t too overwhelming in these, but you can definitely taste it. If you want a stronger ranch flavor, you can use less of the taco seasoning and/or extra ranch seasoning. Or you could also drizzle some ranch dressing on your tacos in place of sour cream!

Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

Yield: 6 servings

Cook Time: 3 Hours 45 Minutes

• 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 package ranch seasoning mix
  • Flour or corn tortillas
  • Suggested toppings: shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, avocado

1. Place the chicken into the slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, ranch seasoning mix, and taco seasoning. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
  2. Cook the chicken on low for about 3 1/2 hours or 1 1/2 hours on high. Remove the chicken and shred with a fork. Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and cook for another 10 minutes.
  3. Use a slotted spoon and spoon the chicken onto a tortilla and top with desired toppings.

250 calories per serving

Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos

44 Responses to “Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos”

Choc Chip Uru — October 19, 2012 at 2:32 am

I will vote for you my friend I absolutely love your dish today :)

Baker Street — October 19, 2012 at 6:33 am

This looks absolutely incredible! I’m going to hop over and vote for you right away :)

Ramona — October 19, 2012 at 6:59 am

I love the flavors of ranch with meat… and these tacos fit that bill!! I love your description of a crockpot..”throw a bunch of crap in and turn it on”. LOL! I know what you mean. :) Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Ramona

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

I love chicken in a crockpot, it’s one of my favorite ways to have it. My Husband on the other hand doesn’t like it that way at all!! Your tacos look amazing and i love that you used the Ranch dressing seasoning!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — October 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

Crock pot recipes are the best! I love the ranch seasoning!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — October 19, 2012 at 11:58 am

So easy. Definitely bookmarking this for next week’s dinners. And ranch seasoning–I freaking love the stuff.

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats — October 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I voted for you on Skinny Scoop!! :)

Anna @ hiddenponies — October 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love tacos and my slow cooker…definitely time I combined the two like this :) Congrats on the Skinny Scoop nomination too, you absolutely deserve it!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — October 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made tacos in a slow cooker before! I’m not sure why b/c crock pot recipes are a LIFESAVER! You’re going to rock it on skinny scoop for sure.

Baking Serendipity — October 22, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I love how simple crockpot meals are, and this one looks fantastic! I’ve made chicken like this with taco seasoning before, but never thought to add ranch. So smart!

Alyssa — October 25, 2012 at 1:20 am

Sadly, I have been living without a crockpot for the last year and a half as no one uses them here! I love how simple this recipe is though! I’ve got some homemade ranch mix at home that I need to use before we move and this would be perfect! My kids would love this too!!!

Lin — December 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Dumb question, but do you put the chicken into the crock pot raw or already cooked? I’ve never cooked meat in the crock pot before, so I wasn’t sure if it would be enough to cook the chicken. Thanks!

• Stephanie replied: — December 29th, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Not dumb at all, Lin! You put the chicken in raw. If it’s defrosted, it should take about 3 hours to cook. You can also put the chicken in frozen, but it will take longer to cook.

• Brandy replied: — October 16th, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

Can I use ground chicken breast in the crock pot instead? How long would I good that?

• Stephanie replied: — October 16th, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Hi Brandy, I have to admit that I have never tried using ground meat in the slow cooker so I’m not totally sure how it would turn out. If you use it, I would be sure to try to break it up into smaller pieces as much as possible before cooking. I would think the cook time would be about the same, but you might want to start keeping a closer eye during the last hour. Let me know how it turns out!

Karen — January 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This was ok but I don’t see why the ranch seasoning is it in as the taco seasoning took over and I couldn’t taste the ranch at all…seems like a waste of ranch mix.

• Stephanie replied: — January 18th, 2013 @ 1:25 am

Sorry to hear you didn’t love the recipe, Karen. The ranch flavor is definitely not overwhelming in this one. If you want to try it again sometime, you can try adding additional ranch seasoning and/or maybe less of the taco seasoning and that might help the ranch flavor come through a little more.

Kim Butler — April 17, 2013 at 12:09 am

Stephie! I made these tacos tonight and my husband and I loved them like crazy! Lets just say I made a whole recipe and we finished it all. My only problem was that the tortillas got super soggy and fell apart, but I just took out my tortilla chips and ate the chicken with the chips. I also added a can of corn in when I shredded the chicken, it was great.

• Stephanie replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

I’m so glad you guys liked it, Kimmy! Sean has the same issues with the sogginess. I use a fork to get the chicken out so that it drains some of the juice away and it doesn’t make the tortilla get too soggy.

• Danielle replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

If you put a big piece of lettuce (like romaine) on the tortilla before putting the chicken or any other tacos first it’ll help stop the sogginess!
        Hope that helps : )

• Stephanie replied: — August 27th, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

That’s a great idea, Danielle!

Ridwan — April 23, 2013 at 8:29 pm

What a great recipe idea to prepare taco’s on crock pot with simple ingredients too.

Stephanie R — May 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

These look incredible. I love the crockpot idea, brilliant.

Stacy — June 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Has anyone tried using actual ranch dressing instead of the packets??? Bc I have everything on hand, except the packets.

• Stephanie replied: — June 8th, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Hey Stacy, you can try just stirring in some ranch dressing instead, or you can just cook the chicken in the taco seasoning and just drizzle ranch on after!

Stacy — June 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Stephanie, I’ll try adding it in towards the end.

Lena — June 14, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Any idea how long to cook the chicken on high? It’s getting late and I’m craving these…can’t wait 3 1/2 hours! :)

• Stephanie replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 11:56 am

Lena, 3 1/2 hours is the recommended time for cooking on low. On high, it would be about 1 1/2 hours. Sorry for any confusion in my first response back to you!

• Lauren replied: — June 18th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

In your original instructions you say to cook for 3 1/2 hours on low but here you said 3 1/2 hours is the recommended cooking time for high. Which setting (high or low) is appropriate setting for this recipe?

• Stephanie replied: — June 18th, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

Hi Lauren, it’s 3 1/2 hours on low or 1 1/2 hours on high.

amber fischer — June 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Do you think I could use water I have everything but the broth some how I ran out

• Stephanie replied: — June 22nd, 2013 @ 1:11 am

Hi Amber. You could use water, but just know that the broth adds a nice flavor to the chicken. The recipe should still turn out just fine with water though.

Beth — July 31, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Definately in our dinner rotation! I personally don’t like an overwhelming taco flavor so used a little over half of the seasoning packet. It had a great balance of taco and ranch. Also these are a huge hit with my kiddos 4 and 2, and the hubby.

• Stephanie replied: — August 1st, 2013 @ 1:16 am

I’m glad the whole family liked it, Beth!

Kelly — October 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I made these tonight! They were soo easy and soo tasty! Definitely added to the dinner rotation. Thanks!

• Stephanie replied: — October 16th, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

Yay! So glad to hear it! :)

Brianne — January 10, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I was wondering if you can put in the chicken frozen or if it needs to be thawed??

Mandy — February 5, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Tried this last night and it was great! Super simple! We didn’t have tortillas on had so we just poured it over rice instead. Used my own taco seasoning and will probably lighten up on that next time to let the ranch come through a bit more. Also put some black beans in there and it added some nice texture to the dish. Will definitely be making this again!

1. Pingback: Crock Pot Ranch Chicken Tacos – Eat. Drink. Love. | Christina Creative

2. Pingback: Crockpot Cheddar Beer Tacos - Eat. Drink. Love.

3. Pingback: Top Recipes of 2013 » Eat. Drink. Love.

4. Pingback: My Favorite Recipes: 2013 » Eat. Drink. Love.

5. Pingback: November Goals » My Blog

6. Pingback: Homemade Taco Seasoning » Eat. Drink. Love.