Vegetarian Fried Rice
You know how when you plan out a dinner, take out the meat to defrost, then proceed to go to work and then think about the delicious dinner you are going to have all afternoon? And then you get home only to realize that you actually never took the chicken out to defrost and now you have no meat for your dinner? Major dinner fail.
Usually when that happens, it results in take-out for dinner as there is nothing else in my freezer I can get defrosted quickly enough.
Dr. Praeger’s Sensible Foods recently asked me to try some of their all natural frozen foods. The brand was new to me, but after poking around their website, I pretty much wanted to try everything! Dr. Praeger’s has so so many different products ranging from veggie burgers, fish sticks, pancakes, and kid-friendly nibbles. Many of their products are also vegan and gluten free too!
I’ve tried my fair share of veggie burgers and while there are some I like, I find most are just…meh. When I tried these veggie burgers, I was seriously impressed. It was really flavorful and you could really taste and see all of the ingredients. I love products that allow for me to know exactly what I am eating and this is something that is not easy to find in the frozen food section.
And who says that veggies burgers HAVE to be eaten as a burger? Not this girl. Dr. Praeger’s asked me to have some fun deconstructing their burgers and I was definitely down to try! I went with using their Asian Veggie Burgers and found the perfect way to use them up! In fried rice packed with even more veggies! This fried rice couldn’t be easier to make and the burgers are a perfect replacement for meat. I didn’t even notice it was missing.
Vegetarian Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 Dr. Praeger’s Asian Veggie Burgers, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (can use more or less as desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Other add-ins: sriracha, grated ginger, etc.
- While rice is cooking, heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the egg and scramble. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil to the pan. Add the onion and red and green peppers. Saute for about 4 minutes. Remove the onions and peppers from the pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil along with the sesame oil. Stir in the rice so it is well-coated with the oil. Let the rice cook for about 2 minutes and the give it another good stir and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the sauteed veggies, peas, egg, and the chopped veggie burgers. Stir in the soy sauce and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Dr. Praeger’s. I was sent the products pictured above to try and use in this recipe. I was compensated for my work. As always, all opinions are my own.