Vegetarian Chorizo Breakfast Strata
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VeryVeggieHoliday #MorningStarFarms #CollectiveBias
One of my most favorite things about the holidays is having house guests or visiting with family. Nothing makes my heart feel more full than having a home filled with loved ones and of course, feeding them delicious food!
I like to make a big breakfast on Christmas morning. It’s such a busy day and I’m usually more focused on prepping the big fancy dinner and skip lunch so having a good filling breakfast is the perfect way to kick off the day! But, of course, the morning is all about opening gifts, going to church, etc. so who has the time to make a big fancy breakfast?
I am ALL about prepping whatever I possibly can the night before so all I have to do in the morning is stick it in the oven! And a strata totally fits the bill here.
Thanks to my friends at Morning Star Farms and their Chorizo Crumbles, this breakfast strata is seriously my new favorite breakfast dish for some delicious veggie cuisine! The Chorizo Crumbles add a flavorful and a little spicy kick to the strata and lots of flavor (and they give you 9 grams of plant-based protein!).
To make this strata, I just simply saute some onions, the Chorizo Crumbles, and some red bell pepper on the stove. The Chorizo mixture gets mixed with some eggs, milk, green chilis, and cheese. The mixture is then poured over some diced french bread and goes straight into the fridge to chill overnight. The bread will absorb the tasty egg mixture. And then in the morning while you are busy opening gifts with the family, your strata will be baking away in the oven and ready to devour in about an hour!
This strata is filling, comforting, and full of flavor making it the perfect holiday breakfast for everyone!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 (13.5 oz.) package MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles
- 1 small to medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 loaf (approx. 1 pound) french bread, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilis
- 7 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh chives and/or avocado for garnish
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Once heated, add the onion and saute until just translucent, about 4 minutes. Pour in the Chorizo Crumbles along with 1/4 cup water, and the bell pepper. Cook the mixture until the crumbles are heated through, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the crumbles and veggies are cooking, arrange the diced bread in a 13x9 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the green chilis, eggs, milk, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and salt. Then stir in the chorizo mixture into the egg mixture until well-combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the bread in the baking dish. Cover with foil and chill overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for 50 minutes, covered. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden and cooked through (bread in the middle should be moist, but not so wet that it seems soggy). Slice into 6-8 servings, garnish with fresh chopped chives, avocado, and salsa.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 199mgSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
MorningStar Farms Chorizo Crumbles can be found at your local Walmart!