Cheesy Zucchini Rice
When it comes to eating veggies, my kids, like many kids, are super picky. My oldest only eats salad and corn. My youngest is a bit more open-minded, but I always like to try to find ways to sneak in more veggies if I can. This Cheesy Zucchini Rice was super yummy and easy to make and aside from the green specks, you couldn’t even tell zucchini was mixed in!
Making the rice
To make the rice, you will just need some butter, rice, broth, fresh grated zucchini, shredded cheddar, and garlic powder and salt for seasoning! It’s so simple and is a great way to change up just plain steamed rice!
- For the broth, you can use either low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth. They add slightly different flavors to the rice, but either works well!
- You can use either pre-shredded cheddar or freshly grated cheese, however the rice will be creamier if you freshly grate the cheese as bagged shredded cheeses contain additives to keep the cheese from sticking together so it doesn’t melt as well.
- If the liquid absorbs and the rice is still not fully cooked, you can add either more broth or plain water to finish it off.
- I grate the zucchini with the skin on because I like the green specks, but if your kiddos are super picky about such things, then you can peel the zucchini before grating it to hide it better!
- I personally like the flavor that sharp cheddar cheese adds in this recipe, but feel free to use any type of cheddar or jack cheese. You can also use a combo of cheeses if desired!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 cup sharp shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Add two tablespoons of the butter to a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Melt the butter. Stir in the rice and cook for about 1 minute. Pour in the broth and stir. Lower heat to medium low. Cover. Let rice simmer for about 15-20 minutes until tender, stirring every so often. If needed, add more broth (or water), about 1/4 cup at a time, until cooked.
- Stir in the zucchini, cheese, and remaining tablespoon of butter. Season with garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and cover and let the rice sit for about 5 minutes for the cheese to fully melt.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g