Vegetarian Chipotle Soup
I’m officially starting to believe that Arizona hates me. I have been dealing with allergy issues since early September and it’s awful. These past few weeks, I am just exhausted, can’t stop sneezing and coughing. I’ve been eating soup like crazy.
So when Pacific Foods asked me if I wanted to participate in their Creative Chef Competition using one of their Soup Starters, I was totally down for the challenge. They sent me a tortilla soup base and the vegetarian pho soup base. You guys know me and Mexican food so I obviously went for the tortilla base!
What I really like about the soup starters is that if you are really in a rush, you don’t have to do much to prepare a delicious soup, you can just add in whatever you want. On it’s own the soup base is flavorful as is. Though this a really easy recipe, it has a nice kick with the chipotle pepper. I didn’t miss the meat at all with this soup. The beans make it nice and hearty and it was really comforting and filling! I had it all together and was ready to eat in 30 minutes!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth or Pacific Foods Tortilla Soup Starter*
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely diced, plus 2 tbs of sauce
- 15-ounce can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained*
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, and the corn. lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, warmed tortilla chips, and fresh cilantro.
If you want to make this soup, but do not want to buy the Pacific Foods Soup Starter, you can swap it for vegetable broth (or chicken). If you use regular broth, pour in the entire can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 405mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 20g
I created my recipe and now it’s your turn! Pacific Foods is calling all home chefs to create your own delicious recipes using their Soup Starters! For more information on how to join in on the fun, click here.
Disclosure: Pacific Foods sent me the Soup Starters to sample and to create a new recipe with. I was not compensated for this post and as always, all opinions are my own.