Strawberry Gin Smash
Tomorrow is the first official day of summer and while we’ve still got quite a bit of June Gloom going on here in the OC, it’s starting to warm up and I’m ready for BBQs and fruity and refreshing cocktails!
I don’t consider myself to be a big gin drinker. Definitely don’t hate it, but it’s not typically my first choice in a cocktail. Mint is another ingredient that I can’t say is my favorite unless it’s in ice cream.
But, in a smash cocktail? I love these flavors together and when you add fresh strawberries too? Count me in! This Strawberry Gin Smash is the perfect cocktail to sip on a hot day!
A smash is somewhat similar to a mint julep cocktail, except you’ve got gin instead of bourbon. A smash, as you might guess, involves mixing a bit of lime juice and sugar together and then muddling some fresh mint leaves and strawberries. Then you just top off your glass with gin, club soda, and ice and you’ve got a really light and refreshing cocktail!
You can add as much or as little sugar as you’d like. I add about a 1/2-1 teaspoon of sugar per drink. I also muddle one mint leave, but if you love mint, feel free to add more! If gin is not your thing, you can also make this cocktail with vodka.
This recipe is for two drinks served in tumbler glasses. You could adapt it as needed to be served in a pitcher if you’d prefer. Just make sure that you give the pitcher a good stir every so often as the sugar can sometimes settle on the bottom.
- 1/2 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 mint leaves
- 4-5 hulled strawberries (plus more for garnish)
- 3 ounces gin (or vodka)
- 3 cups club soda
- Cut the half of the lime wedge into two. Squeeze each wedge into a tall glass. Divide the sugar amongst each glass and stir until dissolved in the lime juice.
- Place a mint leaf in each class and two strawberries and muddle (can spoon out solids if desired).
- Pour the gin and club soda into each glass and stir until combined. Fill each glass with ice, additional sliced strawberries and extra mint for garnish. Serve.
Serving Size:1 drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Looking for more perfect summer cocktails? Try these!
Raspberry Peach Frosé