Chocolate Icebox Cake
I made my first icebox cake a couple of years ago and fell in love with its simplicity and the infinite number of different flavor possibilities. Now that summer is here and we lose our desire to turn on the oven on a hot summer day, no-bake desserts are the way to go!
This chocolate ice box cake might very well be one of my most favorite desserts that I’ve ever made. Seriously! It’s so perfect and dreamy and chocolatey! My whole family was pretty obsessed with this cake.
This icebox cake is pretty simple to make. All you have to do is whip up some heavy cream, add cocoa powder and sugar and then this whipped chocolate amazingness gets spread between layers of chocolate graham crackers. Oh, and I also threw in some mini chocolate chips for good measure!
I decided to make my own homemade chocolate whipped cream for this recipe in place of whipped topping that you tend to see in a lot of icebox cakes. By adding a bit of cream cheese to heavy cream, it will give the whipped cream a bit more stability similar to whipped toppings and with no other added ingredients!
One thing to note is I used an 11×7 dish for this. You can certainly make it in a 9×13, but you might want to add a bit extra of each ingredient to make up for those extra inches. One and a half recipes, or maybe one and a quarter would be sufficient. There’s really no way to mess this up since it’s no bake, so your layers might just be thicker or thinner. No big deal!
I love this cake for summer parties like the 4th not only because it’s no-bake, but also feeds a crowd!
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 ounces plain cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Approx. 3 sleeves chocolate graham crackers
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks just begin to form, about 8-10 minutes.
- Cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces and add to the whipped cream along with the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Beat on medium speed until smooth and combined. Fold in about 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips.
- In a 11x7 baking dish, cover the bottom of the dish with sheets of the graham crackers. You may need to break up some of the sheets to fully cover the bottom. Spoon about 1/3 of the whipped cream mixture on top and spread carefully with a knife into an even layer. Repeat with another layer of the graham crackers, another 1/3 of the whipped cream, graham crackers, and then the remaining whipped cream mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top (you can also add crushed graham cracker crumbs if desired).
- Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Slice and serve. Dessert is best eaten within 3 days.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g