Creamy Vegetable Lasagna Rolls
We are on our way back from beautiful Hawaii. On the one hand, I do not want to leave this gorgeous paradise and will miss the sunsets, ocean, and fruity drinks, and then on the other hand, we are so excited to get back home to our sweet girl! We’ve been experiencing some serious baby withdrawals!
One of my favorite recipes on this blog (and a reader favorite) are my Creamy Chicken Lasagna Roll-Ups. They are easier to make than regular lasagna and I adore the creamy chicken filling! I love that these have cream cheese instead of ricotta. Don’t get me wrong, I love ricotta cheese, but the cream cheese filling is a fun change. I’ve been craving them lately, but wanted to make a veggie alternative and now I’m not sure which one version I like best!
I used diced zucchini, yellow squash, and baby spinach for this recipe, but you can certainly experiment with different veggies like sliced mushrooms or peppers. It’s all good!
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- your favorite marinara sauce
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Prepare the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and squash and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the spinach and continue cooking the veggie mixture another 2-3 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the zucchini and squash is tender. Season with some salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain the cooked lasagna noodles when done and pat dry. Place a sheet of wax paper on the counter. Line each noodle on top of the wax paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and garlic powder until smooth. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Then mix in the milk until it is combined with the cheeses.
- Spoon some of the sauce of your choice on the bottom of baking dish so that it is completely covered.
- Spoon some of the cheese mixture (roughly 2-3 tablespoons) and spread on top of each noodle. Then take about 1/4-1/3 cup of the veggie mixture and sprinkle over the cheese mixture on each noodle. Tightly roll each noodle up and place seam side down into the baking dish. Cover each roll with more sauce trying to completely cover each one so that they do not dry out while baking. Sprinkle additional Parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese on top is melted.
Serving Size:2 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 727mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 22g