Chicken Florentine Lasagna Rolls
Lasagna is one of those foods that I definitely consider to be a comfort food. Pasta? Good. Sauce? Good. Cheese? Gooooooood! Truth be told though, I don’t think I’ve made a traditional lasagna in quite some time. Not since I started making my one-pan skillet lasagna. And of course my discovery of the lasagna roll!
I love lasagna rolls because they just seem like less work to prepare. Rolling them up is quick task. Not to mention, they are great for portion control! These Chicken Florentine Lasagna Rolls are my most recent creation and they are seriously scrumptious!
I do like to use rotisserie chicken for these rolls. Shredded chicken works best for lasagna rolls since you need to roll them up nice and tight. Large pieces of meat would make that difficult.
The white sauce make look thick and creamy, but contains no heave cream. I used some broth and low-fat milk and grated Parmesan cheese, and flour to thicken it up. It’s a quick and easy sauce to whisk up! You can add a splash of white wine for if you’d like or even fresh lemon juice would also be good for an extra punch of flavor in the sauce.
I say 2 of these is a serving size, but if you don’t have a huge appetite or plan to serve something else with them, like a salad, then one roll could easily be enough for a person. I put four servings just in case, but kiddos likely would eat just one.
For the lasagna rolls:
- 8 lasagna noodles (use regular noodles)
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I use rotisserie)
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups fresh chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions. When cooked, drain the noodles and let cool for a few minutes. Then lay a clean towel out and roll a noodle out and gently pat dry. Repeat with remaining noodles and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, spinach, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Stir until well-combined. Set aside. Spoon about 4 tablespoons of the mixture onto the middle of each noodle and spread over each noodle. Start from one and and roll tightly. Set the rolls aside and make the sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir to coat the shallot and garlic and lower heat to medium. Pour in the broth and milk and whisk together until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon some of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Spread so the bottom of the dish is coated. Then arrange the lasagna rolls in the baking dish in a single layer. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and rolls are warmed through. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Serving Size:2 rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 1100mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g