Aloha!! This post is coming to you from the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii! Hubs and I are here for a work conference. Yeah, I know, work? Here? But we are definitely finding some time to enjoy ourselves and relax. We didn’t bring baby girl and miss her terribly, but I ain’t gonna lie, being able to sleep all night in a big comfy bed listening to the waves crashing was not shabby! Last night after a delicious dinner and fruity cocktails, we sat out on our balcony without any lights and just listened to the waves. It was glorious! I will share pics of our trip soon!
I planned to post these coconut muffins not even thinking about the fact that it seems like the perfect recipe to post while visiting Hawaii! My love affair with coconut continues and now in muffin form! These muffins are not your typical big and fluffy bakery muffin, they have a denser texture more reminiscent of a scone. They are perfectly moist and sweet and studded with shredded coconut and sliced almonds! Gah! I am wishing I had 1 (or 5) right now while I sit and enjoy looking at the ocean and gorgeous Hawaiian views!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded coconut. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the coconut oil, Greek yogurt, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Stir the dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in chopped almonds. Using a large cookie scoop (or about 3 tablespoons), divide batter amongst prepared muffin wells and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool. These muffins are best eaten within 2 days (or freeze).
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g