Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
Okay, so it’s entirely possible that I bought 5 large fall-scented candles from Bath and Body Works this weekend. It’s also possible we put up our Halloween decorations…and it’s supposed to be about 108 degrees this week. WHY?!! Why is it so hot still?! It should be in the mid-90s by now, not creeping back up! Argh! I am not a desert girl.
At lease my house is screaming fall though! We were so excited to put up our decorations this year. Holidays always become more fun with a little one. Maddie likes all of the lights and of course, trying to eat all of the Halloween coasters and anything she can get her hands on.
We had a cloudy weekend last week and I got the baking bug and a pumpkin craving so I made these chocolate pumpkin muffins! I used my easy pumpkin muffin recipe as a base for these and made a few changes. These contain little sugar, and Greek yogurt! There’s always something extra special about a chocolate muffin, probably that it seems more like a cupcake, and these are no exception, but also healthier!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, vegetable oil, yogurt, vanilla, the egg, and the milk. Stir in the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and the salt. Gently stir in the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Then add the chocolate chips and fold in until just-combined. Divide the batter evenly amongst each cavity. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g