Mint Chip Frozen Yogurt
I have a weird thing with minty things. For the most part, I’m not a fan.
Really minty mojitos? Nope.
Peppermint desserts? Nope.
But, mint chip ice cream? Yup. I don’t know what it is, but this is my exception. Maybe it’s because I loved it as a kid too and it reminds me of childhood. Not sure, but I love mint chip ice cream! Or in this case, frozen yogurt!
I love homemade ice creams, but I do not love how long it takes sometimes with having to make a custard, letting it set, etc.. Frozen yogurt, on the other hand, comes together in a flash. You just mix everything up in a bowl and churn! And, let’s face it, frozen yogurt is lighter and contains less fat. Now, I will say that I recommend using full-fat yogurt for this recipe. It really makes a difference in the texture of the frozen yogurt, it’s richer and creamier. As for the minty flavor, you can adjust it depending on how strong of a minty flavor you’re going for. Hello childhood!
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups whole fat plain yogurt
- about 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (can add more or less of desired; do not use spearmint extract)
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- green food coloring (optional)
- Be sure to prepare the bowl of your ice cream maker by sticking it in the freezer about 24 hours in advance to making the frozen yogurt. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Then whisk in the yogurt. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the peppermint extract and combine, taste, add another 1/2 teaspoon until desired taste is acheived (add more if needed).
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the bowl of the ice cream maker and freeze accodring to the manufacturer’s directions (I let mine churn for about 25 minutes). Scrape the frozen yogurt into a freezer-safe container, stir in the chocolate chips, and then let set in the freezer after churning for at least 3 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 82mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 36g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g