Cranberry Orange Scones
Raise your hand if you wish every week was only 3 days. If you are not raising your hand, then you must be on something.
Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s time to shop for gifts. Raise your hand if you want to do my Christmas shopping for me. I will love you forever. If I can’t do it online, I get angry. I’m like a grumpy old lady in the mall this time of year, so watch out!
Raise your hand if stuffed yourself silly last week. It’s time to lighten up a little bit. You know, for at least a few days before all that holiday baking and parties start. I promise to stop making you raise your hand now. But, hey, at least I gave you a little arm workout, no? You’re welcome.
Cranberry and orange are one of my favorite flavor combos, especially this time of year. I usually just make a whole lot of cranberry orange bread, but I went for a scone this time. Greek yogurt helps to cut the fat and adds a nice tang to these scrumptious scones and I feel much less guilty about eating these for breakfast compared to more sweet and buttery sweet breads.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 3 tablespoon butter, diced into small cubes
- 3/4 cup low fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- raw sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and orange zest.
- Add in the diced butter and using two knives or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add in the yogurt and orange juice. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, do not overmix.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Knead together the dough and pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 slices. Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat. Sprinkle some raw sugar on top of each scone.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Serving Size:1 scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g