Cranberry Orange Bread
Are the holidays stressing you out yet? I kind of had a little panic attack last night when I realized that I have only bought one Christmas present so far. Argh! I feel totally uncreative this year with gifts for people. I usually have at least some ideas for people, but I am not feeling it this year. I apologize in advance to my family when you all open up boxes of socks this Christmas.
Baking is always a good cure for holiday stress. I could spend hours looking for new holiday recipes to make.
One of my favorite things to bake this time of year is cranberry orange bread. It’s a great treat to have around for breakfast or snacks when you have guests staying with you. I love the tangy cranberries mixed with the sweet bread with a punch of orange. It’s been a while since I made some last, but I was reminded of this delicious quick bread and had to make some immediately!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- grated rind of 1 large orange
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in orange rind. Make a well in center and add orange juice, eggs and melted butter. Stir from the center until the ingredients are blended. Be careful not overmix. Add the cranberries and walnuts. Stir until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Serve plain or with butter or cream cheese.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g