Easy Edamame Dip
If I had to pick my favorite type of appetizer, I would say it’s definitely dips. Dips of any and all kinds. Cheese dip? Yes please. Spinach Artichoke dip? Gimme. Onion dip? Heck yes. Fruit dip? Duh. Guacamole? Oh goodness, yes, yes, and yes.
Get my point? I like the dips. All of the dips.
The problem with dips is that because I love them oh so much, I can eat an embarrassing amount of them. Dips are most often packed with delicious fat and calories which is not such a bad thing some of the time, but for someone like myself who likes to eat them often, I need some lower calorie alternatives!
While a dip like guacamole contains good healthy fats, it can be excessive. Edamame is a surprisingly good and lower fat alternative. And I mean this aside from the lovely green color! Edamame beans are packed with fiber and protein! This edamame dip is really simple to make and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients. I like to add some olive oil, garlic, and some seasonings and that’s really all you need! I eat this dip with pita chips and/or fresh veggies like carrots and peppers. This is a dip you can feel good about eating!
Easy Edamame Dip
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen edamame
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or cilantro (optional)
- pita chips, crackers, and/or veggies for dipping
- Add the frozen edamame to a pot with boiling water. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, but save about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the cooked edamame to a food processor with the olive oil, garlic cloves, and lemon juice. Process the mixture, slowing adding in a bit of the reserved cooking water until the dip reaches its desired thickness (I used about 1/4 cup of the water). Then add in the basil or cilantro (if using) along with some salt and pepper to taste. Continue to process until the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with pita chips, crackers, and/or fresh vegetables.
Nutrition (for 4 servings; dip only): Calories: 195; Fat: 13.5g; Carbs: 10.5g; Protein: 6.1g; Sugars: 1.3g; WW Points Plus: 5