So even though I just said that I don’t want it to get hot out just yet, my mind is clearly in spring/summer mode when it to food. I’ve been craving lots of fruits and salads.
One of my favorite light dinners to make is salmon topped with ridiculous amounts of peach or mango salsa. My husband doesn’t care for the salsa part, so I make him some rice to eat with his fish, but I am perfectly content with just the fish and a pile of salsa on top.
Now with it being Lent, I have been on the hunt for new fish recipes that I can make on Friday nights. These tilapia tacos with peach salsa really could not be any simpler. I chose to use tilapia because I think it works well for fish tacos and you can get a lot for a pretty cheap price which makes this meal perfect for a family! Since my husband doesn’t love the fruit salsa, he ate his plain and the said his tacos were pretty bland…well, duh, it’s all about the salsa! Load up! I just used peaches, but you could use mango or pineapple or even a combo of these fruits. Go crazy!
- 3 cups chopped peaches*
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbs. jalapeno pepper, finely diced (can adjust depending on how much heat you want)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 lbs. fresh tilapia filets, sliced into strips (about 2-inches thick)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- small corn or flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped peaches, onion, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, and the cilantro. Set aside.
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together the panko breadcrumbs and the salt in a shallow bowl or pie dish.
- Dip each strip of tilapia into the breadcrumbs and turn to coat the entire strip. Place the breaded strips on the baking sheet. Spray each one with cooking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes. Flip and spray the other side with more spray and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the fish is cooked and the strips are a light golden brown.
- Place a strip into the center of a tortilla, spoon some of the salsa over top and enjoy!
You can use frozen peaches if you cannot find good fresh peaches. You can also use mango or pineapple for the salsa or you can use a combination of these fruits!