Happy Tuesday, internet friends! Before I get to today’s post, I found out that I was nominated as one of the Top 25 blogs on Skinny Scoop! I would so appreciate it if you guys could take a minute to click on over and vote for meeee!! Just click the icon below and then scroll down the list to find Eat. Drink. Love. and “like”!
Ok, now the recipe…Since we moved from one hot place to another hot place, it certainly hasn’t felt like Fall to me, but that has not stopped me from going pumpkin crazy in my house. The pumpkin candles are out and I think I bought every pumpkin product that Trader Joe’s sells this past weekend. Seriously, I can’t even tell you how happy I am to have TJ’s back in my life! So after buying crap tons of pumpkin, it was time to put it to good use!
First up, pumpkin meets banana meets bread. Pumpkin Banana Bread. Yes, it totally works. Trust. This bread is made with whole wheat flour and flax. It is not overly sweet, so you can eat it any time of the day! Yeah!
- 1 large overripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 5 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar plus about 2 tbs. for sprinkling on top
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- nuts and/or chocolate chips, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the mashed banana, pumpkin puree, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, salt, and the pumpkin pie spice.
- Combine the flour mixture in with the wet mixture until just combined. If you are using nuts or chocolate chips, stir them into the batter. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the extra brown sugar on top. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.