Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
How many of you were super excited to watch Downton Abbey last night? I’m super excited it’s back, especially right now since Walking Dead and Once Upon a Time is on a hiatus for Sunday nights. I feel like I should have made a Downton-inspired dinner last night, but we had enchiladas instead. I did, however, enjoy a big cup of tea and it was a complete coincidence that I had made a loaf of this whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread yesterday, but it went perfectly with my tea. Banana bread is close enough to a scone or other tea party-type bites, right?
While I love all quick breads, my favorite is always good ol’ banana bread. It’s comforting and perfectly sweet. I could eat it any time of the day. This version is made with whole wheat flour and chocolate chips. While it does contain some butter, I also added some Greek yogurt to cut down on some of the fat and it also adds some protein! There aren’t a ton of chocolate chips in the batter but there are just enough so that it tastes a little more decadent than regular banana bread. And oh man, does it smell good while it is baking! Is there really anything more comforting than banana bread baking in the oven?
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf pan or spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Then mix in the Greek yogurt, eggs, mashed banana, and the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and the salt. Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Then gently stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into slices.
Serving Size:1 slice (out of 14)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g