Pumpkin Banana Bread
One of the challenges of moving to a new place is figuring out a good place to take photos and figuring out the best set up for the camera. It took me a good 40 minutes to figure this one out and I’m still not pleased with how these photos turned out. I guess it’s just going to take some time until I can finally figure out the best set up, but please forgive my bad photos for now!
Since we moved from one hot place to another hot place, it certainly hasn’t felt like Fall to me, but that has not stopped me from going pumpkin crazy in my house. The pumpkin candles are out and I think I bought every pumpkin product that Trader Joe’s sells this past weekend. Seriously, I can’t even tell you how happy I am to have TJ’s back in my life! So after buying crap tons of pumpkin, it was time to put it to good use!
First up, pumpkin meets banana meets bread. Pumpkin Banana Bread. Yes, it totally works. Trust. This bread is made with whole wheat flour and flax. It is not overly sweet, so you can eat it any time of the day! Yeah!
- 1 large overripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 5 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar plus about 2 tbs. for sprinkling on top
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- nuts and/or chocolate chips, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the mashed banana, pumpkin puree, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, salt, and the pumpkin pie spice.
- Combine the flour mixture in with the wet mixture until just combined. If you are using nuts or chocolate chips, stir them into the batter. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the extra brown sugar on top. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g