Chai-Spiced Banana Bread
It recently occurred to me that there’s a serious lack of chai recipes on my blog. I LOVE chai. Chai Tea Lattes are my jam. I adore all of the spices like cardamom and cinnamon. And I feel like chai spices definitely give off more of a fall/winter comfort vibe.
And what else gives off a comfort vibe? Homemade banana bread obviously! So homemade banana bread spiced with chai spices? Hello cozy! Just the thought of this bread makes me long for a cold rainy day so I can snuggle up on the couch with a cup of tea and a slice of this chai-spiced banana bread!
This banana bread may seem kind of basic, but the chai spices make it seem a bit more special. Cardamom can be a bit expensive, but if you are a chai fan, it’s worth having a bottle in your spice cabinet!
I didn’t expect the girls to like the cardamom flavors in this bread, but Maddie loves it and keeps asking for a little slice with her breakfast or for a snack. I also froze some and it reheats easily. This bread would be great to have on hand for guests over the fall and holiday season to serve with tea or coffee!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, sugars, eggs, mashed banana, vanilla, and sour cream.
3. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
4. Fold the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread with a spatula so it is even. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool for at least one hour before slicing.
Serving Size:1 slice (out of 12)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g