How is it that October is almost over?! Seriously, where did it go?! I’m so not ready for this month to be over. I’m enjoying all the Halloween movies, candy, and decorations. I know I’ve said it many times, but this is my favorite time of year. Lots of decorations, AMC Fear Fest, and comfort food. This month is all about comfort food. For example, a big bowl of creamy pasta.
And you know what rocks? When that creamy pasta doesn’t actually contain any cream. I love finding ways to sub heavy cream in dishes. There are a lot of great alternatives out there these days like low fat cream cheese or greek yogurt. One ingredient I haven’t really tried is sour cream.
- 1/2 lb. pasta (you can use whichever type you prefer)
- 7 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- splash white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley (for garnish)
- Boil a pot of water for the pasta. Season with the salt. Cook pasta until tender and drain.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions in an even layer. Cook for about 3 minutes. Flip the mushrooms over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the pasta and toss with the mushrooms. Add in the sour cream, broth, white wine, Parmesan cheese, and the salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly until well-combined. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese and parsley on top.
Adapted from Bethenny Frankel